Wednesday, August 10, 2005

TTSE #3: Random Delivery Service

Things That Should Exist #3:

While recuperating from the blissful madness that was this past weekend's PDXPOP Now! festival at Laurelhurst Park today with Meri many things happened. Most of them were alternately starting crossword puzzles, and becoming too tired to complete them. We ate. We napped. And at just the right time, we heard a distant tune. An analog loop, about 7 seconds long, of Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag. It was an ice cream truck. I thought that I didn't have time to run to the street via the established footpath and made the mistake of trying to blaze my own trail through the bushes. The endless trench-system of spider webs forced me to turn back and run the regular pedestrian route. I caught the little mini-truck (not a musician flexvan, I should add) just in time to procure a Creamsicle and an Ice Cream Sandwich, for me and Meri, respectively.

A powerful enthusiasm surged in me - how cool is it that a little truck comes and brings ME icecream on a hot day! I wish they would just bring me everything! Then I thought of pinkdot and the handful of other home anything-you-want delivery services. I just never think to use them. Or, not having a drug habit, maybe I just never want anything bad enough to call somebody to bring it to me at 2am.

But how about a delivery service that brought me something cool - of their choosing - once a week? What if I could specify a dollar amount and, if I wanted, a category, and somebody would drop off an item or group of items fitting my parameters every week. I get pretty excited about the regularity of taking the trash out every Sunday night as is, so you can imagine my enthusiasm for somebody finding me a cool, unique present every week. I could say "$10. Surprise me!" Or if I wanted more control, I could say "$5. Something blue." Or "$20. A kitchen item."

I like this idea very much.

1 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Cameron said...

This would be great if you traded your old present for the new one. Otherwise you'd end up with ridiculous amounts of random crap in your house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home